FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Calgary, Alberta) February 13, 2014 – Executives for the Barley Council of Canada (BCC) are now in place, representing all sectors of the value-chain.
The BCC held the election at its first annual general meeting on February 12, 2014 in Calgary. The Board and membership officially elected Brian Otto of Western Barley Growers Association as president and chair and Chantelle Donahue of Cargill Canada as vice-president and vice-chair.
“It is an honour to continue to serve this national council as president and chairman,” said Otto. “I look forward to continuing to work nationally on behalf of the entire barley value chain.”
Donahue will continue to play a vital role with the BCC as she looks to grow collaboration throughout the industry in her role as vice-chair. Originally from Biggar, Saskatchewan, she is pleased to continue building a strong future for barley.
“Building the national barley council has taken commitment and collaboration across the value-chain,” said Donahue. “It’s been a tremendous journey, and I look forward to further strengthening the Canadian barley industry in 2014.”
The new executive is representative of Canada’s barley value-chain.
“As industry members and farmers, our Board recognizes the importance of equal representation at the table,” said Otto. “With key sector representation at the executive level, we can provide real value for all members.”
The board also elected Henry Van de Velde of Hylife Ltd. as the Council’s secretary and Patrick Rowan of BARI Canada as treasurer. Officials will serve for one year in their respective roles.
For more information, please contact:
Public Relations Coordinator
Barley Council of Canada
p: (403) 219-6263
c: (587) 261-4064
Barley Council of Canada 2014
BCC Executive and Board of Directors:
• Chair: Brian Otto, Western Barley Growers Association
• Vice-chair: Chantelle Donahue, Cargill Canada
• Treasurer: Patrick Rowan, BARI Canada
• Secretary: Henry Van de Velde, Hylife Ltd.
• Aaron Beattie, University of Saskatchewan College of Agriculture
• Garnet Berge, B.C. Grain Producers
• Neil Campbell, PEI Grain Elevators Corp
• Don Dewar, Manitoba Barley and Wheat
• John Holliday, Canada Malting Company
• Jason Lenz, Alberta Barley
• William Van Tassel, FPCCQ